Our Statement of Reconciliation:
Because we believe that all persons are of sacred worth [¶161 F];
Because we believe that all persons—including those who are LGBT+—are made in the image of God [Genesis 1:26-7; 9:6];
Because we believe that God has given us the ministry of reconciliation [2 Corinthians 5:18];
We therefore join our sisters and brothers in the Reconciling Ministries Network in their efforts to extend the love of Christ to all and to work toward the full inclusion of LGBT+ persons in the life and ministry of the United Methodist Church.
As a member of the Reconciling Ministries Network, we will:
- Listen to the stories of LGBT+ persons and seek to grow in wisdom and understanding of the grace of God;
- Welcome LGBT+ persons as full members and, as they seek to use their gifts and graces for ministry, as leaders and teachers in the church;
- Welcome the children of LGBT+ persons without reserve and include their families in all the ministries of the church;
- Provide for the pastoral care of LGBT+ persons, including weddings for couples that have indicated their desire for a Christian wedding and have completed the required premarital counseling;
- Proudly display our welcome on our church signs and publications and intentionally extend our welcome to the LGBT+ community;
- Renew our commitment by celebrating a Reconciling Ministries Day once a year;
- Pray for a change of heart while advocating for a change in the policies of the United Methodist Church, because we do not believe that the Christ-centered love of LGBT+ persons is incompatible with Christian teaching.
We acknowledge that we cannot live out this commitment without personally living into a deeper relationship with God through Jesus Christ, and so we pray for the grace to receive the new birth that we are called to share.
* "LGBT+" was substituted for "LGBTQI" to respect the full range of identifiers used to denote different genders and sexual orientations, including but limited to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, nonbinary, questioning and intersex persons.